Tiritiri Matangi Island
New Zealand - 10 Sep 2006
Latitude 36 degrees 36.4 minutes south
Longitude 174 degrees 53.8 minutes east
This light shone for the first time on the 1st of January 1865. The tower was made in England and shipped to New Zealand in sections. The lighthouse is the oldest tower still in operation in New Zealand, and in 1956 when it was fitted with an 11-million candle power xenon lamp, it was one of the most powerful lights in the world at that time.
The cast-iron tower stands 20 metres high and 91 metres above sea level. The light flashes once every 15 seconds and can be seen for 18 nautical miles - 33 kilometres.
The 50-watt lamp operates on abattery supply charged by solar panels. The original lens was converted from an oil-burning lamp to aetylene in 1925, and then to diesel-generated electricity in 1955. This was later connected to mains electricity via a 5km underwater cable in 1966.
The light was fully automated in 1984 and the lighthouse keeper was withdrawn.